Tuesday, September 25, 2012

And The Next Scapegoat Is...

It happens once every four years... No, I'm not talking about the Olympics. It's election time. Rather than sit here and try to break down each of the candidates and try to figure out which one is more qualified, I'm going to look at the entire political process in general.

The United States has two major political parties: Democrat and Republican. Both of these parties have different views on how things should work, as well as differing opinions on controversial topics. When George W. Bush was in office, people were in an uproar, blaming him and the Republican party for the declining economy. Finally, after 8 years, a new President was chosen. One that was a Democrat. Now, 4 years later, everyone is blaming Obama and the Democratic party because the economy has not gotten any better. It seems to me that the problem is not a particular party or the President. They are simply a front to take the blame for the failing of the entire political system.

I get criticized for my decision not to vote. There is constantly someone saying "People in other countries DREAM of being able to vote." That may be so, but perhaps they are just uneducated when it comes to the process. The rich members of this country are not told what to do by the poor, simple as that. There may be an ILLUSION of power provided BY the rich citizens to keep the masses happy, however in reality it is simply not the case. The rich only care about one thing, themselves. I refuse to play a part in their appeasement ritual called voting. Not only do I believe that my vote truly means nothing, but I believe that there is no difference between candidates. Power corrupts, as does money, and as President you obtain both of those things.

This political process is not working. The government wants you to blame a political party instead of questioning the situation as a whole. If a Democrat is in office, all of your problems are because of the left-winged donkey. If a Republican is in office, you can blame the right-winged elephant in the room, or oval office, whichever it may be.  

Sorry, but I won't be voting on the next scapegoat. I won't be choosing who society decides to blame for their newest problems.

Some people wonder what they would do if they had the power to make one law. One chance to change the way something works. For me, I already know what I would do. I would pass a law that prohibits Congress from exempting themselves from anything. Does that seem fair to anyone else? I don't see how they get away with it now. They are elected to look out for our best interests, but it would seem they are looking out for their interests a little bit more. Here's the process:

  1. Congress/President Proposes Bill
  2. Back and Forth Bickering 
  3. More Bickering
  4. Congress Changes Bill To Exempt Themselves
  5. Bill Finally Passed


"All Men Are Created Equal"

...Interesting, I don't think Congress got that memo.

1 comment:

  1. This is my platform for voting, then I'll get off my soapbox, because I agree with most of what you said :)

    1. Now that I live in Utah, I know that this is far and wide a republican state. Which means our whopping five electoral votes will go to Romney; because usually electoral candidates vote with their states major party. Now, hypothetically speaking (given that I have no idea how many people actually live in Utah) let's imagine this. There are 1,000 people in Utah, 900 of them are republican, 100 of them are democrat. If the 900 majority decides their votes don't matter; and the 100 stand up to make a difference, then our electoral vote goes the other way. So, even though your vote may just be a drop in the bucket, and honestly will probably never make a shift in political parties, if everyone felt that way- it could very well make a huge difference.

    2. While I will agree that for the vast majority, our president is the equivalent for our country that Gisele Bunchen is for Victoria's Secret (only a lot worse looking); assuming Obama gets his way with obamacare, and assuming Romney cuts federal funding as much as he wants- and then tell me there's no difference in who is elected president. Granted you're right, that A LOT of bickering is involved, and that the president by no means has the power to get much of anything done by himself; but his ideas are the ones thrown around. So, although they may or may not go through- the president dictates the agenda; and the agenda can sometimes be effecting.

    ReplyDelete